Competition during the indoor track and field season takes place at the Armory track, located in the heart of campus, adjacent to Huff Hall. The track surface provides the University of Illinois with one of the finest indoor facilities in the Midwest.
Built in 1914 the William Carbys Zimmerman designed Armory replaced the old “Military Drill Hall”, now known as H.E. Kenney Gymnasium Annex. When completed the Armory was the largest free-span, no center support system, structure in the world. The “drill hall” now referred to as the main floor, measures 200 feet by 400 feet with a ceiling height of 98 feet.
In 1927, a multi-story addition was built around the building adding classroom and office space. The addition, designed by Charles A. Platt, gave the Armory the look it has today, which matches the Georgian Revival style found in nearby buildings such as the Main Library, Huff Hall, and other campus buildings of the time.
Following the 2003 track and field season, a $1.2 million renovation project was undertaken to improve the infrastructure of the Armory track and floor.
Completed in late 2003, the new surface is a 13mm thick, 200m Beynon Encapsulated Polyurethane track that features six lanes on the oval and eight lanes on the straight.
In the field events, the long jump and triple jump have two jumping areas which allow simultaneous running of men’s and women’s events, while the shot/weight area features a concrete circle recessed into the floor.
In addition to the above mentioned structural changes, the Armory Track & Floor also underwent an operational change. Usage of the Armory Track & Floor is now fee based. For additional information regarding Daily Fee's and Memberships, Open Jogging Times, and Facility Reservations please visit www.uiarmory.com or call 217.333.8333.
Enter your starting address to get directions to this facility.